Here are some facts about me
(in no particular order)...
(in no particular order)...
1. I graduated from UND with a double major in Elementary Education and Early Childhood Education in May of 2008. I also just received my Masters Degree at UND in August of 2014 with a MS Elementary Education. I get to speak to future teachers once a year on campus, and it's always one of my favorite days. I am a proud 2x UND alumni, and oh, by the way…. I’m a HUGE UND FAN!!!! This has a lot to do with my friend Zane McIntyre being the goalie of the hockey team. He comes to read to my class every year as a Mystery Reader, and you can read tons of posts and watch the news stories on his visits by clicking on his name under the "tags" section of my blog.
2.I have two crazy, funny, sweet, and sometimes naughty dogs that are spoiled rotten! Madi Mae turns 5 in October, and she is a Schnoodle. Dudley aka Duds (very appropriately named, I might add) is a Shorkie, and he turned 5 in March. They love kids!
3. I have played golf since I was old enough to drive the cart, and all the way through college. I am still close friends with the girls I played with at UND, and I love playing the sport. I don't have enough time to play golf like I used to, which can be frustrating for a competitive golfer like me!
4. I am honored to be a columnist for the leading educational technology website in the United States, EdSurge.com.
5. I was created and put on this earth to teach. I can't imagine doing anything else in the whole world. My mom was my kindergarten teacher, and I knew since then I wanted to teach! My dad was my music teacher from grade 5 until I graduated high school. Teaching kids is my passion in life, and I am blessed beyond words to be able to do what I do every single day. My job is to help kids love learning, what's better than that!? The hardest part of my job is that it matters everyday. That's also the best part of my job! I think kids should love where they get to learn, and I love designing classrooms!
We recently moved back to North Dakota to teach, and we are loving the big city and our new district! We feel very fortunate and blessed to be where we are now! This is my seventh year of teaching.
|My mom and dad, my biggest cheerleaders!|
6. I love dogs, chevron patterns, and coffee. Anyone who knows me knows I love everything chevron. I love to wear it and decorate with it! Even my mini-me is wearing a chevron dress! I have a lot of energy most of the time, and people always ask me how I do it. Here's the secret: I drink a lot of coffee! My kids at school ask me why I like coffee so much, and I tell them I drink it so I can keep up with them! Last year we were graphing our favorite foods, and I asked my kids what they thought my favorite food was. One boy raised his hand and said, "That's easy, Mrs. Delzer, it's COFFEE!" I laughed until I had tears streaming down my face. My favorite kind of coffee is Starbucks Blonde, and I brew up a cup using my Keurig every morning. I also love getting to drive to our many Starbucks or Caribou Coffee in our new city often!
7. I gave a TEDx Talk on July 23, 2015. You can read the amazing story about how I got the spot to give a TEDx Talk here.
8. I have a sister that is a real life CSI. She gets to live in the most beautiful city in the world: Bend, Oregon. She will tell you her job is nothing like the TV show, and not everything is solved with the blue light! I think Tori and I are a lot alike, but I would not last 5 minutes at her job! She's the peanut butter to my jelly, and I love her lots! She just had a baby boy named Kaysen, and he holds my heart in his tiny hands for sure. I get daily pictures and videos of him that melt my heart. My brother lives 2 hours away, and he is a manager at Digi-Key. He is my little brother, but we always joke that he was bigger than me since the day he was born. I am so proud of the responsible young man he has become. He bought a house two blocks away, and we love seeing him often. I love him to pieces!
9. Sometimes, I get to teach teachers! I am a technology addict, and I love blogging, tweeting, iPads, and learning new tech things! Over the last 2 years, I have been lucky to be the presenter and speaker at several different technology sessions. I have trained teachers from all over the Midwest on Teacher Blogs, Twitter in the classroom, Remind 101 and other Parent Communication Tools, Virtual Exploration, Developing a Personal Learning Network (PLN) on Twitter, Instagram, and Blogger, and iPads and Apps for the Primary grades. I love sharing my passion for technology with others, and I am very lucky that this is a path my job has taken me on recently. I would like to continue traveling around speaking to educators, or maybe even teach a college class to future teachers down the road while continuing to teach 2nd grade. In the next few months, I will be the Keynote for a ND STEM conference, give two different presentations at the ND Reading Conference, teaching a summer STEM camp for kids at NDSU, and delivering several sessions at the Metro Tech Camp. If you're in the area, I'd love to meet YOU! You can also see feedback from people who have received professional development from me along with speaking/consulting session descriptions on my blog.
You can watch my interview with Sheila Jane Teaching, Essential Technology Tips for Teachers, by clicking here. If you want the 15 minute version of what I talk about in some of my professional development sessions and tons of resources to implement tomorrow, this interview is perfect for you!
|Sheila Jane is just THE SWEETEST!|
|I was honored to be a featured EduCelebrity in March!|
|They packed the room at TIES to listen to me speak! #humbling|